Monday, October 27, 2008


If you are like me, you probably have not thought much about male skin products until recently. I did not think about until I started researching skin care products, but it was not until I had a reaction to a name brand body lotion that my research took on a more personal effort to find the best skin creme for men.

My story began with someone trying to be helpful and handing be a bottle of body lotion and pointing out that my elbows were so dry that and rough that they looked gray in color. I put the lotion on each elbow and the tops of both arms and rubbed it in.

I am not allergic to anything and my skin reacts to nothing so I did not think about it when a day later I noticed my arms were dry and itching. I applied the same lotion to my arms that day and within two more days had a rash that itched for four more days.

It was not until this point that I started to figure it out. You see, I do not use any male skin products myself so it took a while for me to realize that the part of my arms that were itching were the same place I had put the body lotion. I kept asking what had I done differently or run into that would cause this reaction?

When the light finally went on and I became aware that this lotion must be the source I stopped using the lotion and started looking more closely at the ingredients. Immediately I saw two ingredients that I know are not good choices but are very common in most over the counter lotions.

The first one was mineral oil. Mineral oil is made from petroleum and while it can be found in many over the counter skin care products, it is not found in the best skin creme for men or women. Simply put, mineral oil does not contribute to good skin. I have since learned that mineral does not penetrate the skin and can cause allergic reactions.

The second ingredient that I immediately recognized as bad was simply labeled "Fragrance". Fragrances can be made from petroleum or toxic chemicals. This too often can cause allergies and skin irritation. Avoid products that list simply fragrance as an ingredient.

So what is the best skin creme for men?

Well, as you get older you start losing the collagen in your skin. Collagen is a protein that is fibrous that gives our skin the firmness. Products that help our own body produce or regrow collagen are the most beneficial. Avoid products than use collagen that is applied externally to the skin as it will not be absorbed by the body and will not be of any benefit.

Another major protein your body loses with age is Elastin. Elastin helps to bring the skin back after it is stretched.

Any good male skin products should help your skin stimulate new collagen and elastin production. As your collagen and elastin levels increase your wrinkles will fade away.

Believe me. Once a man starts to apply this information concerning what should be found and not be found in the best skin creme for men or women, you can start making good informed decisions on what kind of products you put on your skin. Learn from my mistakes and avoid your own round of itchy skin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment